The Siasconset Union Chapel was built in 1883 as an ecumenical “House of Worship” and has hosted Protestant and Roman Catholic services for many years since. The Chapel is at the heart of the ‘Sconset community. It is the meeting place for prayer, song, message, marriage, contemplation and a place for annual renewal and resumption of friendships.
The ‘Sconset Chapel property consists of the Chapel building, a parsonage, the community green and the memorial gardens with our Columbarium. In 2007, the Massachusetts Historical Commission granted an historic preservation restriction to the Chapel ensuring that it will remain as is for years to come.
18 New St, PO Box 400, Siasconset, MA 02564
This mini-documentary about the ’Sconset Chapel was produced for the 2008 exhibition ’Sconset 02564 at the Nantucket Whaling Museum. It includes excerpts from a series of oral histories of ’Sconset residents conducted by the NHA in 1976 and 2007-8 along with archival video and photos on the topic. In this video, Joan Brown Porter (1930–) discussed the variety of religions that were accommodated at the chapel and the evolution of the columbarium. Margaret Fawcett Barnes (1896–1980) shares a memory about the shows that were put on at the ’Sconset Casino to support the chapel. Martha Holdgate Butler (1929–) talks about attending Sunday School there as a girl and Christmas and Easter celebrations. Bob Longley (1932–2013) remembers that it was a “haven for clergymen” and how that changed with the 42-year tenure of Rev. Stanley Johnson beginning in 1961.